FI - Strategy

Well everyone knows the basic formula for financial independence because it’s extremely simple. Earn more than you spend, invest the excess. Keep doing that until you can retire.

I have been taking a somewhat blended approach with my investment strategy. I started investing approximately 17 years ago as a University student. At that time I was very focused on value investing in dividend paying blue chips ie- (TD, MMM, JNJ, PFE, TRP etc.) However, over the years I’ve expanded my approach and now also allocate some of my portfolio to contrarian type investments. I’m currently 98% invested in equities but over the long term plan on reducing my weighting to 90% equities, 10% fixed income.

My goal in retirement is to receive at least 60% of my income through dividend payments with the other 40% coming from capital gains. I have also not ruled out purchasing a rental property to diversity my passive income sources. However, real estate has appreciated much more rapidly than rental rates, so to date I haven’t been able to find anything that makes sense economically.

Since I started tracking my performance in 2010 I’ve been generating and average annual return of 12.1%. However for all my planning calculations I’m using a more modest 7% average annual return.

In future posts I'll provide some more details on my current net worth and portfolio construction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FI 3000 Is Born

How to Value Real Estate Rental Properties

Retirement Portfolio Net Worth – As of April 1- 2017